Friday, March 1, 2013

Skinny Ground Turkey Noodle Bake

I get the vast majority of my recipes from Pinterest, so when MyPlate started a Pinterest page the other day I was super excited to try things from it. They're basically recipes gathered from sites around the internet deemed healthy enough to get the MyPlate seal of approval.

Tonight we were making a Ground Turkey Noodle Bake that was already pretty healthy, but I wanted to skinny it up a bit more. Instead of regular egg noodles I used whole wheat noodles, instead of regular cream cheese I went with the Philadelphia 1/3 less fat (a staple in my house since forever), and my milk is always skim. I like the Skim Plus brand because it has more protein and tastes creamier.

(I wasn't planning on writing a blog, so this is the only photo I have)

This recipe was so good that Goober ended up going back for seconds. I would still make a few changes to it, though. It was a little bland for me, I'd add some more garlic and spices in the sauces while I'm cooking them to give them some time to blend. I'd also add some more turkey the next time and maybe layer it a bit more. I think if I put more turkey in it we'd eat less because it would be more filling. I realize I'm making it sound less awesome than it was, but believe me, it was really, really great.

The recipe as I made it is as follows:
3 cups (one package) Ronzoni 100% Whole Grain Extra Wide Egg Noodles
1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup Skim Plus milk
4 ounces (1/2 brick) Philadelphia 1/3 Less Fat Neufchatel
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 3/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (it originally called for 1 1/4 but Goober and I really like cheese)

The way I made it would be either six servings of around 400 calories or four servings of around 600 calories (we were hungry enough to eat extra!). Assuming only four (very generous) servings the breakdown is as follows: 609 calories, 18.5 grams of fat (9g Saturated, 1.5g Polyunsaturated), 101mg Cholesterol, 788mg Sodium, 207mg Potassium, 65g Carbs (8g fiber, 8g sugar), 56g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment